The purpose of the Parent Mentor Program is to help parents of children with disabilities effectively navigate the educational system in partnership with school district personnel. This is accomplished by providing information and support to families and by creating a mechanism to convey the family perspective back to the school district.
No Cost For Services:
Ohio Parent Mentor projects are funded through grants from the Ohio Department of Education (ODE). All Parent Mentor services are provided to families free of charge.
- Guide families through the special education process,
including rights and responsibilities
- Listen and provide support to families and educators on an
- Provide information and resources to families and school personnel on education laws, district programs and services,
and community resources
- Attend Individualized Education Program meetings and other
meetings at parent or staff request
- Organize and conduct information sessions or workshops based on the needs of families and
- Build collaborative partnerships between families, schools and committees,
to benefit students with disabilities